SUMMARY OF 2017/18
2017/18 Has been a fantastic year for UOC MMA club, despite changes in our hall partway through the year our numbers have maintained high 20’s/30’s. We have had charity competitions during which our members have won gold, silver and bronze medals. And a number of our members have gone on to win medals and compete externally in local, regional and national competitions.
CHARITY & COMMUNITY
UOC MMA have had a great year of fundraising, we completed a rowathon with UOC rowing raising money on justgiving for our charity Chapter as well as raising money to help our fellow society. A half marathon ran by club members including our new captain for chapter. Organised by our charity officer, the far biggest fundraiser was the charity competition conducted at the university inviting those within our club as well as those from external local clubs in and around Chester. In total we raised £1,380.69 for the charity and our efforts where especially rewarding when we met with the representatives from Chapter who we are looking forward to continue to raise money for in the following year.
We have had a number of amazing achievements by our team members including our commitment to our charity of choice, Chapter. As well as a number of medals including:
UoC MMA Charity Grappling Competiton
- Melissa Holmes (Alumni) ~ Womens open
- Yoan Tragos ~ Under 73kg Novice
- Luke Baxter (Captain) ~ Under 66kg Advanced
- Leah Johnstone (Vice Captain) ~ Womens open
- Serban Rares (Staff) ~ Over 90kg Advanced
- Roman Sonnenberg ~ Under 81kg Open Experience
English KYU Grade Chamionships (Karate)
- Luke Baxter (Captain) ~ Males over 18. Under 66kgs
WIIJF KOSEN Grappling Interclub (Gi)
- Yoan Tragos ~ Lightweight
- Justin Whittle~ Heavyweight
- Andrew Lucas (Comms officer) ~ Lightweight
AJA National open Championship
- Andrew Lucas (Comms Officer) ~ Males under 66kg
PLANS FOR 2018/19
For the new year we are pleased to say we are staying with Chapter as our charity for which we are aiming to beat last year’s fundraising target and raise £1,500! We are also planning on competing more and encouraging more members to do so! We are looking forward to the year ahead.