SUMMARY OF 2017/18
Good activities fair meeting new members with 90 people signing up for taster sessions.
Good freshers week with a good turn-out for taster sessions and socials; maintaining many of the same people for the rest of the year.
Achieved a number of PBs across all athletes and events.
Took a strong team to all three BUCS events, a big improvement upon last year.
Had really successful and enjoyable weekends away at indoor BUCS in Sheffield and outdoor BUCS in Bedford.
Had a nice end to the year with a final social with our own awards, along with a great evening at Sports Presentations.
CHARITY & COMMUNITY
In 2017-18 we didn’t undertake any charity events. With more members and a much stronger committee this next year we already have a number of ideas in the works to rectify this for the 2018-19 year. We can't wait to contribute to the amazing charity fundraising from the SU last year.
We also have an excellent link with West Cheshire AC which also means members will have the opportunity to take a coaching course and coach local younger athletes.
Arguably our greatest triumph; being fully inclusive to all. Our members include those, who started athletics new when joining university, those who took it up again having done it previously, and those who have continued with it from a very young age. There is also an almost equal split of members who train socially and to keep fit compared to those who compete as much as possible.
Doubled the number of people who regularly train and a huge improvement on the number of people competing in BUCS competitions.
Achieved a big number of PBs at indoor, outdoor and XC BUCS.
Two athletes competed at the England Athletics Championships.
Held regular successful socials throughout the year, contributing to our excellent team morale.
PLANS FOR 2018/19
- Raising money for charity:
- Another idea we are keen to take on is a relay competition for other sports teams and societies to enter, with an entry fee and prize for the winners. Depending on the number of teams interested there might be heats, a semi-final and final potentially.
- Aiming to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
- Start strength and conditioning training sessions from the university gym, in addition to our two training sessions per week.
- Take part in more Borders League and North Wales Cross Country fixtures as well as open meets (indoor and outdoor).
- With two social secretaries a more organised socials calendar will be set out.
We can't wait to meet all of our new members during freshers week! See you all soon!