Hey, you're not logged in - Log in

Accessing Support at University

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Knowing who to go to when you have an issue can be difficult. Here's a short guide on some of the support departments across the University:


The Students' Union Advice Centre

The advice team can offer support and advice about a range of issues including appeals, mitigating circumstances, the disciplinary procedure, professional suitability procedure, complaints, and accommodation. We are also a third party reporting centre for hate crime. We offer a drop in service, bookable appointments and provide advice by email. The advisors can also attend meetings and panels with students.

We can be contacted by email on CSUadvice@chester.ac.uk


The advice team work closely with Student Futures (SF) and will signpost to them for specific types of support.  There are several parts of SF including:

Student Wellbeing

Student Wellbeing offers information, advice and support on a range of personal issues including; funding and bursaries, general wellbeing advice and specialist support for international students, mature students, young adult carers and care leavers. They offer students information via the Information Point, and can arrange for you to have a one-to-one appointment with an advisor. They offer telephone and face-to-face appointments and can respond to queries via email as well.

They can be contacted by emailing wellbeing@chester.ac.uk or telephoning 01244 511550. They also have a member the wellbeing team on duty at the info point in the Binks building.

Disability support

Disability Support offers specialist support for disabled students, including those with medical conditions, mental health conditions and specific learning differences such as dyslexia. The disability Support Officers offer information, advice and guidance on a range of areas such as reasonable adjustments to teaching, learning and assessment, the process of accessing support, advice and guidance on accessible accommodation and specialist accommodation aid, information about accessible parking and Liaising with other University departments, academic staff and external agencies. They also have Academic Skills Tutors who offer information, tutorials and referrals.

They can be contact by emailing disability@chester.ac.uk or telephoning 01244 511550.

Counselling Services

The University also offer a Counselling service which allows you to explore and make sense of issues which may be distressing you or disrupting your life. This may involve managing depression, low self-esteem, relationships, and stress. Counselling can lead to greater awareness, increased understanding and change.

You can make an appointment to see a counsellor by telephoning 01244 511550 or emailing student.counselling@chester.ac.uk

Big White Wall

The University are now a member of Big White Wall, which is designed to help students get support, take control and feel better. It provides 24/7 peer-to-peer and professional support (from experienced clinicians who are online at all times), plus a range of courses and tools to help people self-manage their wellbeing. This service is safe, anonymous and free to students at the University of Chester.   If you would like to access this resource, you simply go to bigwhitewall.com and join with your university email address.


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.