Hey, you're not logged in - Log in


How do I stand for Election?

Our briefing pack will give you advice on standing for election, all the key dates and practical advice on organising your campaign. To be a candidate you just need to be a current student. Nominating yourself is easy; click and log in with your student ID.

Will it cost me anything?

To make sure things are equal the Union limits how much a candidate can spend on an election to £150. That being said- you don't need to spend massive money on your campaign! Elections for Council positions should cost nowhere near that much.

It's just a popularity contest!

Sure it helps but all Union elections are under a transferable vote system where you rate the candidates by preference. The winner will not be the favourite but the most consistently liked candidate.

I have children, how will I fit my family around being a Full-Time officer of the Union?

The full-time positions of the Union are given an employment contract for a year. The Union has a flexible working policy and will support you in finding the right balance between family and work. Our Student Council positions just ask you to attend a few meetings a year and talk to students for their opinions.

I am not your typical Union person.

Good. The majority of voters will also be people who have not spent their entire 3 years inside the Union. It's everybody's Union and you all have an equal chance.

I am an overseas student, can I stand?

Yes, the Union will work with the University to make the necessary changes to your Visa if you are elected to a full-time role. The Student Council positions do not affect your Visa at all.

I am not a Final Year student, how can I win?

By being better organised and engaging than your opponents just like everybody else. 

I am a commuting student, how could I find the time?

Firstly we will provide you with support and training to help you lead a team of people to support you. It can be done with proper organisation and leadership.

When will it be?

We hold elections in October and March every year, the full schedule is avaliable here.

If elected to a full time officer role when do I start?

Your year of office will begin on 1st July and run to the 30th June the next year. However, full-time officers are paid  to come in from mid June to shadow this year’s officers and meet the staff you will be working with.

What happens after the election?

Full-time Officers

There will be a residential for all those elected in late May. This will be a mixture of team building, skills development and forward planning so you can get the most out of your year.

Between mid July and early August a series of national training events take place and we strongly encourage you to attend the ones relevant to your position.

And of course the academic year usually begins in late August when the new intake of International students arrive. Holidays between late August and October seriously impact on your ability to get the results you want to achieve. You can never get that time back again.

Official Compaints

Complaints about campaigning and candidate behaviour must be made in writing to the Returning Officer through csustudentvoice@chester.ac.uk no later than one hour after the close of voting. Challenges to the results must be made in writing to the Returning Officer through csustudentvoice@chester.ac.uk no later than one hour after the results are announced.