Hey, you're not logged in - Log in

General Health

It is to be expected that while at University you may get ill at some point and so it is important to register with a doctor and a dentist. There will be times that are stressful and you may feel like you need a little extra support whether this is with homesickness or exam stress. Looking after your physical and mental health is really important to help you achieve your full potential while studying.

Registering with a GP & Dentist


To register with a new GP, you will need to ifnd out the details of your local doctor's surgery. you can find this information on the NHS website, by following this link [here]. They also give some advice on registering with a GP service on this page: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/gps/how-to-register-with-a-gp-practice/


Likewise, information on accessing a dentist is available on the NHS website here: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/dentists/how-to-find-an-nhs-dentist/

Dental treatment in the UK is not usually provided free of charge. How much you will have to pay for your treatment will depend on whether you are registered with a dentist who provides treatment under NHS or with a dentist who only provides treatment to private clients. It will also depend on your financial circumstances.


International students:

If you are an international student following a course lasting 6 months or more, you are eligible to obtain free healthcare from the NHS.

If you are an international student on a course lasting less than 6 months your entitlement will depend on whether your course is substantially funded by the UK Government. It will also depend on whether you come from a country where the UK has a reciprocal health care agreement with.

For more guidance please see - https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Studying--living-in-the-UK/Health-and-healthcare




Poor vision can seriously affect your potential to learn so it is important to get your eyes checked. You should register with an optician when you arrive at University.


All students under 19 are entitled to a free, NHS funded eye examination. If you are 19 or over and in full-time education, you may still eligible for a fully funded, free eye examination. All you need to do is complete an HC1 form which is available in the practice.


For more information please see the NHS help with health costs website.




Colds and Flu:

When you start University you will be in contact with loads of new people and your body will come into contact with lots of new germs and bugs. Colds and flu are quite common for freshers. Have you heard of the Fresher’s Flu?


  • If you end up feeling tired and run down try to rest and give your body a break/boost. You will be busy over the first few weeks so at some point it may well all catch up with you. If you are not getting enough rest, your immune system will be weak so make sure you are looking after yourself.
  • If you are ill whilst at university it is important to let your department know. Student support and guidance can offer you help and advice regarding the support services available to you and about contacting your department. It may be that you need to complete a mitigating circumstances  form.
  • If you think you or a friend has something more serious you may need to seek medical help. Below you will find out how to spot key signs of various illnesses associated with Uni life and who to talk to if you need help.

Meningitis and Mumps:

The most common concerns regarding student health are meningitis and mumps.


The Meningitis Research Foundation has information about the symptoms of meningitis and the support available. Or you can contact MeningitisWise for free on 080 8800 3344 or email them at helpline@meningitis.org. The NHS website has information about the symptoms, causes, treatment and prevention of mumps.


If you think you are ill and wish to check your symptoms you can use the NHS online symptom checker. For health advice and reassurance, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year you can call 111 to speak to NHS direct.