Welcome to the University of Chester Rowing Club page
Rowing is a sport that appeals to people of all ages and abilities. We are a club that offers flexible ways to take part; from social rowing for fun in your spare time, to competing with the best at some the UK’s biggest racing events. If you’ve rowed before and want to get back in a boat, or have enjoyed watching rowing and are feeling inspired to give it a go… JOIN UOCRC!
We are a club with great team spirit looking to gain more members to add to our ‘rowing family’ this year. Everyone is welcome to join us, regardless of ability.
With the club competing in over 15 races a year, there are plenty of opportunities to compete right from the start (including some of the biggest sporting events in the world, such as Head of the River and Henley Royal Regatta).
As a club we are very fortunate to have one of the best rivers in the country to row on, The River Dee, where most of our training takes place.
Below are just a few events and accolades from the past year with UOCRC:
- October 2016 - A new Mens four comprised of two 2nd years and two 1st years took on the Dee Autumn Regatta and came out third in their category! This was a great start to the season.
- December 2016- Liverpool Victoria head: This was the first race for many of our novice crews as they competed against several North West clubs, they all completed the event with respectable times for a first race! The Women’s 8 claimed their first win of the Heads season here whilst the Men's 8 came 2nd in their category!
- February 2017- Warrington head of the river: We took 3 crews to warrington, and came back with 3 victories! With our Mens four and Women’s Four claiming first place in their categories and another women four taking second!
- March 2017- North of England head: This was one of the most attended head of the rivers which all our 3 crews came out with a very good times.
- April 2017- BUC’s regatta: For BUC’s we took a large contingent of the club, racing throughout the weekend! Our mens and womens 4’s qualified in their respective categories. But the Senior women’s eight raced to success in D category claiming another first place for the club!
- May 2017- Shrewsbury Regatta: We submitted several crews for this regatta and all of our crews did exceedingly well, with the Mens Four narrowly missing out on first place by only 4ft!
- June 2017 - Two races in one weekend. Chester Regatta saw 3 of our fours qualify of A, C and D categories. The Mens Four got to the A final and lost by only half a length! The two Women's fours got to C semi-finals and the D finals. Whilst our women’s 8 once more secured a victory at Reading Regatta on the road to women’s Henley! Just a week later the Women's 8 took on Henley and qualified for the 2nd year running!
In the upcoming 2017/18 season UOCRC are hoping to get as many freshers as possible to try and accomplish even more than we already have this past year! We have so many plans, dreams and goals, and we want you to be apart of it this year too! Don’t miss out on making your university experience even better!
We are one of the University's largest sports clubs, and are one of few that is mixed gendered. We pride ourselves on all the hard work that individuals and crews put into the success of this club.