Gas, Electric and Water

If bills are not included in your rent then you are responsible for paying them. This includes gas, electricity and water. On the day you move in, take the gas and electricity meter readings and pass them on to utility suppliers. If you don’t do this, you could end up paying the previous tenant’s bills. If you don’t know who is supplying these services, ask your landlord or letting agent for their contact details.

It is usually possible to have more than one name on the bills. If only one person signs for the supply then that person is liable to pay the bills. Make sure you are not the only person on the utilities contract.

Changing Supplier

If your contract doesn’t prevent you from changing supplier you could check out the best prices on www.uswitch.com – but be warned, sometimes it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Remember – fuel is expensive, so budget carefully and use energy efficiently. See www.energysavingadvice.co.uk for handy hints and tips.

Council Tax

Full time registered students are exempt from Council Tax liability. You will receive an exemption certificate from the University. If you share with tenants who are not students, they will be liable to pay Council Tax.  For more information about council tax use this link.

Contents Insurance

Your landlord is responsible for insuring the premises, but you are responsible for insuring your personal possessions. Student houses are prime targets for petty criminals. Shop around for the best deals on contents insurance. One such company is Endsleigh, 

TV Licence

You must be covered by a valid TV licence if you watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use – whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set – you still need a licence. For more information about TV licence use this link.

Media and Broadband

The majority of students require internet services within their accommodation. Many different companies have offers on broadband packages, so make sure you shop around for the best deal. However, ensure that you read the small print before signing – you don’t want to be tied into the contract for longer than your tenancy. You will need to obtain permission from your landlord.